After a couple of times traveling with just a carry-on, I have created a system for myself that has seemed to work out and I thought it was time to share. 🙂
Travel | Carry On Essentials
- Make a list
- This is huge for me. I do not pack until the day before or the morning of leaving to avoid overpacking. I go as far as writing down specific tops and bottoms, shoes and each individual charger. Add an extra top or two just in case, and then go down the list and check off each item as it enters the bag.
- Pack Neutrals
- Packing items that can be worn multiple ways or with multiple outfits are a must for traveling – this goes for shoes as well!
- Hardside rolling luggage
- I picked up a hard sided piece of luggage for this trip and am so glad I did. Although there isn’t as much give as a soft sided, a lot of the hardsided pieces zip down the middle of the luggage and open to sit flat. I really like this because I can separate my shoes, hair supplies and random items from my clothes. You can also keep your clean and dirty clothes on different sealed sides. It is nice that they have a water resistance to them. Nothing like something spilling and all of your clothes are damp before you even get to your destination. I have been lusting over this one in the cream color… gorgeous.
- Easy to remove shoes and comfortable clothes
- I always travel in some kind of comfortable leggings or jeans and a basic T. A light jacket or oversized sweater is also a must-have. You can always shed the layer if it is too warm and use the cardi to curl up if it is chilly. I am not saying that you have to go to the airport looking like a slob, but wearing a dress and heels is a little much for my taste. Plus, holding up the security line because you have 700 rhinestones on your top and spikes on your heels is a serious buzz-kill for everyone.
Personal Item Essentials
I think this is an obvious item for just about every traveler. A good pair of headphones that doesn’t take up a ton of space is one of the first things I pack. I got these for my birthday and they are probably my favorite pair I have ever owned. Some people prefer the larger sound cancelling headphones – but I prefer more room for other items, especially if it’s all you are bringing!
I keep all of my chargers in a zipped pouch in my personal item/purse. You never know when one of your electronics is going to die and having to sift through your rolling luggage.
Germs. I can only imagine the amount of germs and bacteria on a plane with hundreds of people on it. You can find me sanitizing away!
Seal-able water bottle
This is something that I forgot to pack on my last trip and seriously regretted. Having a bottle that can be refilled and also can be placed comfortably in your bag without worrying of a spill is a must. Especially when a bottle of water at an airport can run you almost $5. Ouch. I have this one and love the design on this one.
Having any kinds of aches on a long flight is horrible.
Something to read
Forget to charge your iPad or can’t play another round of Solitaire? A magazine that I haven’t already paged through always accompanies me on the plane. If you are reading a good book and won’t get distracted by other passengers – that works too!
I talked about this in my recent hair favorites and it is a must take on vacation. Using these to tie your hair back on the plan or at night seriously saves you from creased and messy hair. I use one of these daily and can’t imagine traveling without one.
Bag of Liquids:
In my opinion, this is the hardest thing to pack. I find myself packing it multiple times and then changing the items over and over. It isn’t so bad when Nate is with because he honestly brings like one liquid and I can have the rest of his bag too! 🙂
- Shampoo & Conditioner – travel size or buy bottles. I like ones that I can leave behind.
- Body Wash – I sacrificed this on my last trip and used the hotel stuff…
- Toothpaste – travel size obv
- Face Moisturizer – I use this one
- Foundation – My full size one is less than 3oz so I could bring it with – otherwise you can get a sample from Sephora of your favorite kind and bring that.
- Concealer – I got this mini
- Note: If I am going somewhere tropical – most of the time I don’t even pack makeup. I am going to spend most of my time by the pool, sweating and swimming it off anyway!
- Perfume – This one is amazing and doesn’t take up a ton of room in your baggie
- Micellar Water/Makeup Remover – I recently picked up a travel version of the Micellar water and it works wonders on taking off stubborn makeup. This is something I don’t pack if I don’t bring makeup aka go somewhere tropical.
- Dry Shampoo/Hairspray – Only if there is room
- Chapstick – MUST PACK ALWAYS. This has been my go-to lately and is 100% worth the money. Buy it immediately.
- Any lip color or gloss. I like to buy the minis for this purpose – and my taste changes so much that I hardly ever finish a full size.
- Sunscreen – Another item I forgot on my last trip and totally paid the price.
I am sure I am forgetting something… I always do! At least in our totally connected world, we are hopefully one google search away from finding a place to buy it at our destination!
Do you have something you cannot travel without? I am always looking for ways to be more efficient so keep me posted!
Happy Friday! This week totally cruised and I am really excited for our company golf outing today and Nate to be home! I also still haven’t picked a wedding outfit for tomorrow. Leave a recommendation for that down below too.. Total procrastinator over here!
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my policies here. As always, all opinions are my own.