When Nate and I first moved in together over two years ago, we had very conflicting tastes when it came to our home decor. If you look at my Pinterest boards, I LOVE fabric headboards and had my heart set on getting one ASAP. I would be lying if I said that my heart didn’t break a little when I saw the look on Nate’s face when I showed him what I wanted. He then pitched his idea – a log bed. NO WAY. We decided to meet in the middle and create our own DIY Wood Headboard.
We used the same concept for our headboard as we did for our DIY Love Sign, and I am so happy with the way this turned out.
What you need:
- 1×6 boards
- Satin Fast-Drying Polyurethane to finish
- Twinkle Lights – optional
- Velcro for Lights – optional
- Sand Paper
- White cloth for stain
- Clamps to hold the boards together
- Cut your 1×6’s to the desired length. For our king size bed, ours are XX
- Pick the side that you want to be the front of your headboard and place all boards face down on the ground.
- Use clamps to hold boards together tightly and drill guide holes where you want to attach the boards.
- Our headboard sits on the ground so we did not need to measure to hang it. This would be a good opportunity to measure if you plan on attaching it to the wall 🙂
- Attach the “feet” to the back of your headboard with screws
- Stain to desired color (ours is Minnwax Honey), let dry and finish with a clear coat of Satin Fast-Drying Polyurethane.
I love the twinkle light trend and this headboard was the perfect opportunity to incorporate them into our room. Velcro circles are an easy way to attach to the back of the headboard. I got the copper wire lights so it was easy to maneuver and string two strands together. 🙂 Even though we will eventually buy a matching bedroom set – I love our first headboard! It ended up costing us under $50 and it would have been less but we splurged on the boards so we wouldn’t have to sand.
If you have any questions on the headboard or in general – feel free to leave a comment below or contact me at email@example.com.
SHOP THE POST: